MSCS Worth Less Now

I majored in Eletrical Engineering when I went to college. Not sure exactly how I picked that major. I think an advisor said it would be optimal. It was around my junior year, when I was taking a course on transistors, that I decided Computer Science was better for me. I signed up for Comp Sci 101. It was boring. I tried to skip the remedial courses and jump right into the good stuff. However the Computer Science Department woud not let me. Therefore I decided to just get my BSEE.

I tried my hand at an engineering job. It sucked. Well it sucked for me at least. Then I searched far and wide for a company to take a gamble on me to be a programmer. I got lucky and was hired as a Junior Programmer Analyst. My company paid for educational expenses. So I decided to go back to school and get a Masters in Computer Science. I figured I could take all those interesting courses I was denied during my undergraduate studies. For the most part, it worked out well. I got into a program that was a non-thesis option. Take ten courses approved by an advisor. Get an MSCS.

Now I am starting to hear that the MSCS degree is worth less and less. In fact having an MSCS without a BCSC might be a liability. This is due to colleges that church out MSCS degrees to make money. Yeah. I might have been in one of those programs way back when. But I did learn a bunch of stuff during graduate school. Just maybe not as much as someone going for a normal research style masters. Oh well. Luckily I have a lot of experience under my belt. By now, my degrees do not matter that much. I just pity the people coming out of college, looking to go into an MSCS program.