Microsoft Certification for SQL Server

At the end of last year, I got a surprise. Was the victim of a layoff from my project. Had been there 3+ years. I should have known something was up as the custom was rushing me to get a lot of stuff done before the end of the year. My takeaway is that I need to always be prepared to get another job. To do that, I need to stay sharp, especially with my technical skills.

My company did not lay me off. Just got the boot from my project. I searched around within the company. Found a couple jobs that seemed interesting and related to my experience. They all seemed to be using the Microsoft SQL Server database though. I have not dealt with SQL Server in forever. Time to brush up on my skills.

I figure I might as well gain a certification as I am learning this stuff. Plan to achieve an Associate (MCSA) certification in SQL 2016 Database Development. That should get my feet wet. It feels like a mid-level cert. I will need to pass two cert exams: 70-761 and 70-762. I have signed up for a Udemy course to prepare for the first exam.

Installing SQL Server right now. That feels like a story for another blog post.