Save by the Log

I had promised to finish my current task within two days. First day I paced myself and did pretty good. As soon as I got in the next day, my boss called me up. We needed to debug some code that got sent out but had problems. It took about an hour. Okay I guess I could absorb that and still make my deadline.

Next there was a session scheduled to fix some data issues with our latest releases. It was a conference call with a lot of my teammates on it. So I tried to work on my stuff while the call was going on. Of courses a number of issues came up during the call where I was the only guy who knew how some data was being set. So I could only half-multitask. The call went on all morning.

In the afternoon I decided to cut lunch short to try to make my deadline. Things were going well. Then I realized the work I tried to squeeze in the morning was done wrong. Had to go back and fix that stuff. Deadline approaching. As I am getting near the home stretch of my task, my network connection goes down. Darn.

I reconnect but my database tool aborts. Luckily I always save all my work to a daily log. I just restarted my database tool, loaded up my log with all my commands, and picked right back up where I left off. What is the moral of this story? I think I had better pad my estimates to factor all these interruptions in there.