Mysterious Double Instance Hampering Performance - I study the existing code base. Confer with a colleague. Then I determine the optimal plan to change the functionality to load only a slice of all the dat...
The next big task had a short turn around. I was working hard to meet a deadline. I told my team lead that I could not take on any other work. Then I got the call back. The managers said the extra work was the priority. I shifted gears, generated another estimate, and said how long it would take. Then I got down to business.
As I am scrambling to stay focused and make up time to beat my estimate, I get an email from a manager berating me. He said we were going to miss a deadline promised to a customer because of my negligence. WTF? I fired back an email stating that we needed a meeting pronto. Somebody had their facts mixed up. I have become really good at estimation. I never miss my estimates, even when everything goes wrong.
I get a response immediately. No need for a meeting. The manager backed off. I responded, carbon copying everyone who was in the first email. If anyone even remotely thought I was the cause of a delay, we needed to meet. I never heard back from anyone.
I can guess what the situation was. Somebody made some promises without knowing the true estimate of the work. Either that, or they did not take into account when the task started. All standard fare. Then they made a mistake. They tried to blame me. Nice try guy.
Now I don't care if someone tries to badmouth me to the customer. And I don't care if you lie to yourself, or to someone else. Just don't expect to send out an accusation to me and not be called out for your BS. I just won't stand for it. Anyone who is competant should not stand for it either.
Other people on the team had the same problem. That was no good. It was a global problem. Some other people tried late through the night, and even the next day. They were unsuccessful. I got a message from the team responsible for the source code control. They recommend we clear up space on our C: drive and reboot out machines.
Now I can understand that a reboot might correct a single user problem. But this was a global problem. I did reboot my machine for grins. Of course that did not solve the root cause. Now they are rebooting servers to hope it fixes the problems. I suspect we are going to be dealing with this problem for the long haul.
The testers could not replicate the exact behavior from the customer. They could also not make the system as they expected. They asked me for some help. I got similar results as them. We were at a loss. Then I figured we could stop trying to replicate the issue from the customer. Instead we could try to figure out what was going wrong.
We found some data. But it seemed to be chopped off at the end. Some other data was just all garbled up beyond recognition. The data getting truncated came from a file that was SQL*Loaded. I figured a truncation might be due to wrong positioning in the input file.
I researched the record layout documented in the design. Sure enough, the testers were putting a response in the wrong position in the file. You would think they would have double checked that. I guess everyone is busy. Let's hope this gets us past this problem.