SharePoint Communications

The development team updated the design docs for the latest changes to the applications. I did most of this work. Then we presented the updates to all the stakeholders. This presentation spanned two meetings. There was a lot of feedback.

My team lead made a comment that I needed to update the design docs based on stakeholder feedback. I figured I could do that. I did most of the writing, and also most of the speaking.

I called up my manager and asked him how he wanted me to handle the updates. He said to make the changes, hold a peer review internally, then publish the updates to SharePoint. I did all of this.

Before sending out the big message to everybody that an updates was available, I called my manager one last time. I told him I was done and was about to broadcast that the update was available. I am glad I called him. He said I was not supposed to publish the changes until a lot more things were done. I was about to grill him as to why he did not mention this before. However he is the boss. And it would also serve no good purpose.

So I deleted the docs off the SharePoint site. Then I passed my updated copies to him. I figure I am done here. The moral of the story is that it is important to confirm communications when you are about to share information with the world. The best way to conduct such communications is face to face. If that is not possible, you should pick up the phone and make a call.