Lead Software Engineer

I just learned that the top lead software engineers at Google make between $220k and $240k per year. Oh snap. That is about $100k more than what I consider the going rate for lead software engineers is. I wonder if these engineers are also getting stock options that could be worth more.

Maybe a bit of the high wages is the location. I figure it is probably expensive to own a house out by Google headquarters. And we all know that Google is very selective in its hiring. They hire superstars. You know. The get guys like James Gosling, who invented the Java programming language.

If you can't beat them, join them. It might be time to get a top job at Google. The only problem is that I can't see myself moving out there, even if the rewards are outstanding. Heck. I bet these lead software engineers get to spend the 20% of their time on special projects. What a life.