You're Doing It Wrong

I got on a conference call for our latest software release. The new project manager asked the test team to verify a bunch of tickets. A bunch came out failed and ended in my queue. The manager asked me if I had any insight on these tickets.

Luckily, any time I do work on a ticket, I enter a note in our ticketing system. I had seen all these tickets before. I researched them and determined a level of effort for them. However none of them got scheduled for a release yet. So the work to resolve the tickets has not even started. Of course they are going to fail if someone tests them now.

I reported what I knew about these tickets. Nobody should have been testing them. The manager said he wanted testing to check the actual state of the problems in the system. Fair enough. But these are not failures. They are in a state where the work has not even started.

At least I am not on the testing team. It is no fund to spend your time testing fixes that have not even be done yet. The good news is that the testers should be ready to verify these as soon as there is a fix. Who knows when that will be?