Talkers and Workers

A higher priority problem from the customer came in. We were in the middle of fixing other high priority problems as well. I decided to take the new problem myself. I hate working on these.

Here is the normal pattern. Some manager wants a conference call. A lot of people join. They all try very hard to suond intelligent. However they ask a lot of questions. The only person who can usually answer those questions are people like me who do the actual work.

That means I have two jobs. I got to answer questions of clueless people trying to sound smart. Then I also have to determine the right questions to get to the solution. This is just a total fail.

Luckily with this latest problem, I was able to take the initiative. I dove in and said I had some ideas and was investigating them. I finished the total solution before any conference calls got started. Winning.