Too Good

When you prove to be an excellent developer, you may have negative consequences. You become the go-to guy. People learn that they can depend on you. So when things go haywire, you get the call. Unfortunately that call may came in the middle of the night or on the weekend.

Words travels fast when you are competent. The customer will want to talk with you. They will be calling your phone. You may be required to be in on the teleconference calls.

I have heard of people fearing this situation. In fact, sometimes developers intentionally screw up to avoid being seen as the go-to person. They say you can't do too well or it will come back to haunt you.

The jury is still out whether it is worth it to excel and then get additional responsibilities. For now I am doing my best. Let's see where this takes me. Like I mentioned earlier, however, I get the calls on my home phone from people who are in trouble.